Friday, March 29, 2013
TIME-SAVING TIPS FOR SPRING CLEANING
It's that time of the year again - as the weather gets warmer, the urge to open up and freshen your home from the stale dry air of winter grows stronger. Then one day the sun is shining brightly and you suddenly find yourself with a bucket in one hand, cleaners and cloths in the other, feeling frazzled and wondering if this couldn't be easier.
Avoid spring cleaner's remorse and follow a few tips to get this major once-a-year chore done quickly and efficiently:
1. ORGANIZE BEFORE STARTING. Prior to any cleaning project take stock of your current supplies. Plan to clean accordingly, for example, cleaning your least favorite room first. Keep everything together in a bucket to easily move supplies from one room to another.
2. USE THE RIGHT TOOLS TO GET THE JOB DONE. Make sure you have the right equipment: microfiber cloths pick up and removes dust and other allergens rather than pushing them around the surface like regular dusting cloths do. Get a vacuum with attachments, a dependable cleaning wand, and machines that use steam to sanitize.
3. WORK SMART, NOT HARD. When cleaning stubborn areas give the cleaners a chance to work. Leave cleaning solutions on heavy traffic areas for over 5 minutes to give them a chance to penetrate the grime for easier removal. Remove food stains in the microwave faster by nuking a cup of water for 2 minutes; the steam will loosen the stains making them easier to clean.
4. DON'T KEEP USING THE SAME CLOTH. If you are doing a large room or area, keep on hand a large stack of cleaning cloths. Cloths loses their effectiveness after a time and begin to leave streaks and spots. If using a microfiber, make sure your gently shake the dust free in a trash bag.
5. DON'T TRY TO BE A CLEANING SUPERHERO. Get others involved! Have the children empty light trash bins or shake the dust from small rugs. Get your husband/brother/teenage kids to help with the lifting. If you live alone, ask a friend to come over just to keep you company....just be sure to return the favor when they want to do a cleaning project of their own.
LAST, BUT NOT LEAST: DON'T WAIT UNTIL SPRING! If you make it a mission during the colder months to commit to small cleaning jobs, then your cleaning project won't be such a monumental task come spring.
Ready, set, clean!